Lifeguard Training Course
Summer Lifeguard Training Course
Class Size: 10
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training provides entry-level participants the knowledge and skills to perform the following until Emergency Medical Service personnel take over:
- Attend to injuries and sudden illnesses
- Prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies
- Provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies
Blended Learning Style
This course is offered as a Blended Learning Course, which means the lecture portion is online.
All of the lecture is online, and is approximately 12 hours total. The majority of the lecture should be completed by the first class date and the remainder should be completed by the second class date.
Certification is not guaranteed by taking this course. Certification is valid for 2 years with 80% passing on written exams and successful completion of water skills.
- Able to swim 300 yards continuously.
- Able to tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Able to complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards, surface dive to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object.
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Minimum age: 15 years by last day of class (proof of age is required)
Lessons will be held at Cumberland Outdoor Pool, or at Hathaway Brown School in the event of inclement weather.
Cumberland Outdoor Pool
1740 Cumberland Road
Cleveland Heights, OH 44118
The total cost for the course is $200.
- Monday, June 19: 5 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. (Prerequisite Testing)
- Tuesday, June 20: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 21: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 22: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 23: 5 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Saturday, June 24: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
To register, please contact Stacey Aroney. Stacey looks forward to seeing you soon!